Friday, March 4, 2011

I'm here!!!

Jet lag has gotten the best of me. It's 2:55am here in Uganda and I am awake so I thought I would take the time to tell you about my time thus far.

I arrived to Uganda on Thursday. After landing I proceeded to the baggage claim of Entebbe airport, which was probably the smallest airport I have ever been to. My bags of course were the last to come out...but I was so incredibly thankful that they had made it all the way! Next came customs. Much easier than I thought. I walked out the door and right in front of me stood a man with a sign that read "SARAH BOWMAN." That man is Collin, he works here at Empower A Child in the missions department. He greeted me with a big smile and a hug and we were on our way to Kampala. Collin drove and I listened to him sing praise songs as I looked out the window to take in all I could see. The drive was about 45 minutes to this place I will now call home. There I was introduced to Jayan, who is the volunteer coordinator. She showed me aroung the place and left me to begin unpacking. The other westerners were napping when I arrived...I am glad we have to love of a good nap in common. Dinner time came soon. At that time I met all the other westerners. Kelsey, Stephanie, and Craig who are all from the states and Mick who is from Austraila. After the power went out...which has already happened multiple times here I decided it was a good time to play "would you rather" for a little ice breaker. You can only take so much of that game so we all retired to bed. Devotions were at 8am the next morning. We start our days together as a team and go devos together. Now we were off to our first project of the day at a primary school. We arrived and began making porridge for the students. I wasn't much help starting the fire or getting the porridge ready so I played with some of the street kids! After a while the students came out and we all sang songs together (even some Shakira! WAKA WAKA)! I still have one of the songs stuck in my head..."Do you want to know me? Oh yeah. My name is Sarah. Oh yeah. I come from America. Oh yeah. Oh yes I do do do!" We than played a few games with them. One girl was attached to me the whole time, always holding my hand, I love it. She than found a great interest in the hairtie on my wrist so I gave it to her. Her face lit up as she put it on. It's amazing the things that bring these children joy. When we were done at the primary school we went to a secondary school. By the way primary is like elementary and secondary is like high school. There we put on a bible study for the kids who chose to join us on their lunch hour. All in all it was a great day. I know I have missed so much but I have 5 1/2 months to keep you updated :) Tomorrow is Saturday so that means a free day. I think I will go out and play with our little neighbors! Love you all. Continued thanks for your love and support!

Sarah

1 comment: