Monday, March 28, 2011

I am a horrible blogger.

As of this coming Thursday I will have been in Uganda for one month....I have only written once since I have been here. I think this fact puts me in the category of horrible bloggers but I will try my best to update you on what is going on in my mind while I am here in the "Pearl of Africa!".... Cameras are great but I don't think pictures can do this place justice. This place excites all of my senses...not always in the best way, but they are definitely awakened. The dirt is rich and red and the streets are filled with small shops to buys sodas, stands where men are cooking chapati, and kids running around with old tires they are using as toys. The air smells of fire and you can aways hear some annoying animal in the background mixed with loud music playing from the next street over. The sun beats down so strong in the day and at night stars litter the sky like you have never seen before. Too much for a camera to capture. I love this place. It is hard to love two places so much. I love home and when I think about home I miss it a lot, but it is hard to think about leaving this new place that I will be calling home for the next five months. Here at Empower A Child, the organization I am working with, we go on different projects each day. Some days we go to elementary schools, other days babies homes, or a juvenile home. As much as I love the different projects my favorite one isn't actually a project at all...it's our neighbors. After spending all day at our projects we come home tired and worn out but I can't pass those kids without the urge to go out with chalk or crayons and paper in hand to spend some quality time with my favorite kids. When I go outside and see those children smile I feel that every challenge or emotion I go through while I am here is worth it. I so much enjoy going to the shop next door and talking with all the men sitting outside as they tell me about their language or all the other muzungus (white people) they have met before. I pray as I live in community with these people that I could be a vessel of God's love and nothing more. I am feeling growth. It doesn't always feel good. There are times when I feel so insignificant here. I don't know the culture or the language which makes it so easy to do things wrong. I am realizing that in reality I am insignificant but through Christ I have been made worthy and good enough. Currently, I am listening to a worship song and the lyrics say "I give it all to you God, trusting that you will make something beautiful out of me." I think that fits my present thought very well. I am so unworthy but when surrendered to God we are made beautiful and he can totally use us even in our insignificance. It makes me think of Moses when he told God he wasn't a eloquent speaker, but isn't it God who even allows us to speak? This is something I am learning with some real life experience. This post has been quite random and spontaneous, I am sorry for that...but at least I am posting something, right? Next time (hopefully sooner than later) I will bring you some interesting stories! Thank you for your continued support and prayer for this journey I am on. With all my love, Sarah Mae Bowman

2 comments:

  1. Sarah Mae! I love it.Africa has been on my mind so much recently and I really want to stay (Lord willing) longer than two weeks. Yet again, I encourage you to keep doing what you are doing because you are inspiring me and paving the way for what God may be preparing me for ;) I remember seeing SO many stars and just being in awe of God's beauty in the sky when I was in Africa last Septemeber. I'm so stoked for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Sarah! and your an inspiration going over there and helping out. So stoked that God is using you in this way, even if you are a muzunga over there haha

    ReplyDelete